To create a community inspired by goats.
Sustainable land management and fire risk reduction through outreach, education, and implementation of goat grazing.
What are the issues we are trying to help alleviate?
- Climate change
- Disconnection from nature
- Growing ignorance of our place in the greater ecosystem
What are City Grazing’s larger goals?
- Sustainable land management: Creating safe enclosures to focus goats on grazing areas to remove fire hazards and invasive weeds and brush.
- Enhancement of habitat
- Building healthy soil
- Bringing joy to people
- Giving back to our often-ignored communities
- Stimulating awareness of humanity’s connection to nature
- Helping people recognize animals’ needs and intelligence, and their similarity to us
What are our strategies?
- Bringing goats to grazing sites, large and small, public and private
- Educating through demonstration
- Hiring from our least-resourced communities, finding those with natural talent and helping them develop needed skills
- Continuing to grow our volunteer program
- Social media saturation
- Adopting goats and telling their stories
- Developing a long term vision plan
What are our current capabilities?
- 92 goats!
- Incredible individuals creating an amazing team
- Networking with workforce training programs to to source local talent
- Vital social media presence
- Strong volunteer program
- 10 years of sustainable land management experience
What are our progress Indicators?
- Continued growth of operations, donors, subscribers, volunteers
- Healthy goats
- Job satisfaction of employees
- Vegetation shift from invasives to natives at annually recurring sites
- Soil development at recurring sites
- Increased organizational efficiency
What have we accomplished so far?
- Apparent vegetation shift from invasives to natives at annually recurring sites
- Observation of soil development at recurring sites
- Healthier trees, healthier goats
- Sustained growth of operations, donors, subscribers, volunteers
- Initial development and hiring for new workforce model
- Goats! Rescues, adoptees, and old friends
- Mobilization of new workforce model
- More goats!!
- Better conditions for our goats and our staff
- Efficiency metrics derived from project and event cost benefit analysis
- Benefits for employees
- Scientific measurement of vegetation shift
- Soil studies measuring fertility, life forms, and carbon sequestration